About GOV.UK One Login
GOV.UK One Login lets your users sign in and prove their identity so they can access your service quickly and easily.
It will ultimately allow users to access any government service using the same email address and password.
By using GOV.UK One Login:
- your service will not need to build and maintain your own sign in and identity checking systems
- your users will not need to manage multiple sets of sign in details, or go through lengthy identity checks for every government service they use
The user-facing parts of GOV.UK One Login
Users can sign in
Users can sign in to your service using GOV.UK One Login, with their username, password and two-factor authentication.
You can add this sign in functionality into your service on its own. You do not have to use the identity checks functionality if you do not need it.
Users can prove their identity
Users can prove their identity so you know they are who they say they are.
If you want to add identity checks, you must also have the ‘sign in’ functionality.
Users create a reusable GOV.UK One Login
Users have a space where they can manage their GOV.UK One Login, among other things.
This is generated automatically when a user first creates a GOV.UK One Login to access a service.
Support for your users is available during office hours via a support form. We aim to reply within 2 working days.
Features for your service team
Free to use
GOV.UK One Login is centrally funded. This means it’s free for government services to use for the duration of this spending review period (up to 2025).
You can follow our technical and design documentation to:
- understand the OpenID Connect (OIDC) authentication protocol we’re using
- see how user data is shared
- test GOV.UK One Login with your service in our integration environment
- see how to integrate the GOV.UK One Login user journey with your service
If you go live with GOV.UK One Login, our technical team is available 24/7 for urgent incidents.